I had the opportunity to speak to a group of young black men. One of the questions that was asked were, What do you do as a young black man, while driving and you are stopped by a white police officer? I thought that was a great question, especially when you see white police officers killing black men and women on the news. As a black man in America getting stopped by the police is a very uncomfortable feeling. Below is my list of what to do if your a black man or black woman and your stopped by the police.
- Pull over and turn your car off and put your hands on the steering wheel.
- If you get stopped by the police at night, turn your inside light on. Turning your inside light on will let the police officer know you have nothing to hide, and it might make them feel safe. Some police officers are scared to death, while approaching a car. They want to get home safely to their family too.
- Keep your hands on the steering wheel and in plain view at all times.
- When the officer approaches your car and he or she ask for your driver license, ask them is it okay to get your license before you make any moves.
- Remain calm and don’t verbally argue with the police officer no matter the reason for the traffic stop. There are other ways to fight a battle and the goal is to survive and make it back home to your family.