The year 2020 was like a rollercoaster with all the ups and downs. 2020 also felt like you’re on an airplane flying to your next destination an you experience turbulence. Death occurred, lessons were learned, and you realized what is more important in life. It is good to reflect on experiences and what was learned in the past, but you have to take the leap and focus on the future. As you step into 2021, stay positive, set goals, create memorable moments and I hope this New Year brings you new opportunities.
There are two types of energy in the heart of this country. One consist of love and the other consist of hate. In today’s world you see more hate than love. Hate is one of the worst types of energy a person can possess. Hate is in the news, on social media, and in the thinking and actions of others. Some people are even surrounded with a personal energy of hate. Their fragrance is hate and you can feel the negative vibe in the atmosphere. People who allow themselves to have hate in their hearts and minds, toward others, can make it difficult to live in peace.
On the other hand, love is a one of the best types of energy to have toward others. Love is like a clear blue sky and ocean. Love is welcoming and wants to see everyone win. Love allows others to help one another and considers other people’s feelings. People who allow themselves to have love in their hearts and mind, toward others, will make the world a better place. With all the hate that is going on in the world, be different and show love.
Stress is defined as a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances. Stress can also cause health problems such as high blood pressure and severe headaches. The year 2020 has already been a stressful year and there is no need to continue traveling down a road full of chaos.
Peace of mind and good health, both mental and physical should be the goal. If you want to beat stress, consider the following.
1. Let it go. Mentally you have to move on. Walk away from a task and then come back to it.
2. Quit. For example, if a job or anything you’re involved in is causing you stress and making you unhappy, then it’s time to move on. Good health and peace of mind is more important than having money and being sick.
3. Always have options in life. More options give you more opportunities.
4. Make a decision to be happy every day and never let other circumstances take away your peace.
I had the opportunity to speak to a group of young black men. One of the questions that was asked were, What do you do as a young black man, while driving and you are stopped by a white police officer? I thought that was a great question, especially when you see white police officers killing black men and women on the news. As a black man in America getting stopped by the police is a very uncomfortable feeling. Below is my list of what to do if your a black man or black woman and your stopped by the police.
- Pull over and turn your car off and put your hands on the steering wheel.
- If you get stopped by the police at night, turn your inside light on. Turning your inside light on will let the police officer know you have nothing to hide, and it might make them feel safe. Some police officers are scared to death, while approaching a car. They want to get home safely to their family too.
- Keep your hands on the steering wheel and in plain view at all times.
- When the officer approaches your car and he or she ask for your driver license, ask them is it okay to get your license before you make any moves.
- Remain calm and don’t verbally argue with the police officer no matter the reason for the traffic stop. There are other ways to fight a battle and the goal is to survive and make it back home to your family.
One thing I do know about a storm is that a storm will eventually come to an end and life will continue to go on. The world as it is right now will try to get back to normal, however some things may not return. Certain job industries might be gone forever and businesses are thinking about how to make a come back.
Some people who are suffering at this moment are also thinking about what to do next. Serious decisions have to be made for the future and for your business. Businesses are having challenges too.
The reason why I like playing chess is because the game teaches you how to think ahead and problem solve before you make a move. Whatever your next move is going forward in life make sure it’s well thought out, strategically planned, and takes you to where you want to go in the future.
I once read a quote that asked a great question. The quote asked, “Are you living or Are you just existing? I believe that quote is a self – reflecting quote that makes a person evaluate their life. The quote also makes a person consider if they’re moving forward, standing still, or going backwards. This does not just apply toward movement but this also applies to living a life and creating moments that will cause happiness.
Don’t settle for less in this life, take vacations, spend time with family, do something on your bucket list, and design a life that is truly desirable. Creating happy and joyful moments will turn into unforgettable memories. Since, tomorrow is not promised acting now is a must, if you want to experience everything this world has to offer.
Procrastination means to defer action; delay: to procrastinate until an opportunity is lost. According to this definition, procrastination can lead to missed opportunities. The action that was suppose to be carried out, in order to get to the next level in life, was never taken. Many people said, in 2018 and 2019 they planned to accomplish specific task but it turned out to be all talk that really sounded good and no action. This is a brand new year 2020 and ask yourself what changes need to be made to see a specific outcome? Defeat procrastination by finding the root cause of why it is happening in the first place. This will help identify the areas that need to be changed to ensure procrastination is not a stumbling block in accomplishing what you want to do in life.
Random acts of kindness is being nice to someone just to put a smile on their face and to make their day better. Has the thought of other people crossed your mind? Being considerate and thinking about other people feelings and not just yourself is a good quality to have.
I think it is great when I go into this Wawa around the corner from me and everyone hold the door for the other person right behind them. There is also a homeless man sitting on the ground eating a breakfast sandwich and he has a cup of coffee because someone brought him one. This is what kindness is all about. Kindness is simply helping other people. This world, your community and neighborhood needs more people that care, not just with their words but by their actions.
- Are you like the people in the above picture who are walking pass a person who need help? If you are, then you need to check your heart. No excuses.
- Think of other people and find out how they’re really doing so you can truly help them. For example, pick up the phone and call someone and find out how life is treating them.
- Help somebody. You can help people in different ways. For example, your money, your time, a kind word, pay for the car behind you at a toll booth or drive thru. If you have it, leave an extra big tip at a restaurant.
- Have a giver mindset. You have takers and you have givers. Some people just love to be on the receiving end and never give anything in return. Karma is not always about bad things coming back to you. But when you do kind deeds, good things will come back to you even when you’re not expecting it.
Have you ever went to a place of business and the customer service was bad? How does it make you feel when your needs are not met, your food is not prepared right or the overall customer service experience was just terrible? Most people when they receive bad service, will not return to that place of business ever again. They will also tell other people about their bad experience. Poor customer service is when a business fails to take care of their customers and they take customers for granted.
I do understand within a business it is impossible to make all customers happy, however even though you may not have helped the customer, you still can point them in the right direction. Your intention can be good and the direction you lead the customer will lead them to the help they need.
If you’re a business owner, entrepreneur, sales associate, and the way that you make your money is depended upon other people spending their money, then customer service should be extremely important to you. Without customers spending their money a business will end up on life support and eventually the business will die.
If a business can’t live without customers, then taking care of your customers should be the number one priority. The service that you give to your customers, is it one star service or five star service? There is a big difference between a one star hotel versus a five star hotel. Which hotel would you rather spend the night? If you desire to take your customer service up a notch, then consider the following point:
- Take Care Of Your Customers. Ask them how they are doing today?
- Exceed the expectations of you customers. Exceeding your customers expectation is when your prepared ahead of time for the things they may need.
- Treat your customers like the most important person in the world. When you value someone you really treat them special. For example, if you see any person you love, respect or admire, then you will treat them differently.
- Appreciate your customers. Appreciate the customers spending money with you. The customers money should never be taken for granted. Customers can feel when they are appreciated.
In today’s society, we live in a time where every aspect of our lives and other people’s lives are visible. Whether it is watching people on social media taking vacations to the Bahamas or seeing people buy their first home on the TV show House Hunters; no matter what type of activity, they all have something in common.
“They are creating the life they want to live.”
If being stuck at a job and never being promoted is not the goal, then create goals to land a new job that presents growth opportunities. If being stuck in a bad relationship is draining and unfulfilled, then create new relationship goals that give life and encourage. This may even mean eliminating a current relationship or fixing the current relationship to where it needs to be. If being happy is the goal, then create this goal by identifying what happiness looks like and go for it. The end result and the bottom line to this thing called Life is, God created mankind for his pleasure (Revelations 4:11). The Creator himself created mankind and also created us in His image. Therefore, we must create the life we too want to live.
If it is happiness, then create it! If it is helping people, then create it! If it is financial stability, then create it! If it is being nicer to someone, then create it! If it is forgiveness, then create it!
We can seek counseling, wisdom, or advice from the most inspiring smartest people on how to be happy or how to live a life of purpose but it does not change the fact that You are the only one that can create it.
Have you ever wanted something so badly but couldn’t obtain it for whatever reason? For example, in the beginning of 2019, many people made a commitment to go to the gym because they had the desire to lose weight and get in shape. However, many people that started with their commitment did not finish. The New Year excitement diminished and the routine of everyday life took over. This is why anything that a person is trying to accomplish in life, must be done with consistent effort.
Consistency is expected in just about every field in life. For example, a business expects their employees to remain consistent when it comes to good work performance. Businesses also expect their employees to be consistent in taking good care of their customers. A great athlete and team has to consistently win on the playing field. Women and men expect to be loved and dated with consistency in their relationship. Consistency is something that we all want in life but we fail to put in consistent effort.
In order to have consistency, consider the following.
- Do something everyday. Never let a day go by when you don’t do anything that will lead you to your goal.
- How serious are you? If you truly desire something, then go after it.
- Results come with consistency. You will not see any results or reach any goals without it.
My thirteen year old daughter and I went to the laundromat to wash clothes the other day. After the clothes were finish washing, we placed the clothes in the dryer and decided to head to Barnes & Noble to look at books. When we arrived to the bookstore, my daughter said, she wanted to buy a daily planner to write down her goals and prepare for the new year. I reflected on her thought process and agreed thinking about the up and coming new year is a good mindset to have.
Right now is the time to stop what you’re doing and consider the year 2019. The year 2018 is almost over and it doesn’t seem too long ago when the year started. Thinking ahead, in order to be successful in 2019, the following steps must be considered:
- Stop Making Excuses – For a current situation to change, you must stop allowing barriers to get in the way of that change. Remain committed to making the change and press through any challenges that may exist.
- Think About What You Want? – Thinking about the new year and writing what you want to take place, will set a clear vision for the goals of 2019.
- Create an Action Plan – Action will always speak louder than your words. Try to have the mindset, Less Talk! More Action! This will stir up results and lead to accomplishing set goals.